Workshop Announcement | 25. October 2023
Collection meets Research IV: Collection data as research data?
Friday, 1.12.2023, 10 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. (online)
For the performing arts and practices as well as for their research and documentation as (immaterial) cultural heritage, digitisation and the current discussion about research data pose special challenges: What is performing arts research data in the collections as well as in teaching and research, including artistic and applied research, anyway? And how can the principles of discoverability, accessibility, interconnectivity and re-usability (FAIR) as well as collective benefit, self-determined control and ethical responsibility for data (CARE) be implemented in this field? The connection of diverse sources and materials, from texts to photographs and videos to objects and stage (image) models in digital space opens up new perspectives of knowledge and at the same time the necessity of specific digital methods. But the publication and storage of research results is also undergoing a transformation, especially with regard to the transparent organisation and dissemination of knowledge.
With this year's, 4th edition of "Collection Meets Research", there will again be several workshops in the already established exchange of perspectives between research, collection, artistic practice and education, focusing on the following questions for discussion:
● What do we mean by research data specific to our subject culture and what infrastructures do we need for it?
● How do historical knowledge concepts and technical developments shape the directory systems of memory institutions and their collection data? To what extent do these collection data also count as research data?
● How do organisational structures in digital environments affect the function and meaning of dance and theatre-related knowledge?
● How does artistic research in the performing arts manifest itself in digital environments and how can it also shape these itself?
● What impact can AI systems and machine learning have on future theatre, knowledge, collection and research spaces?
Programm and Registration until 27.11.2023 via the following link: https://events.nfdi4culture.de/e/sammlung_triff_forschung_IV
The fourth meeting of the series "Collection Meets Research" is organised by the Institute for Theatre Studies at the University of Leipzig together with the Bundesverband Theatersammlungen im deutschsprachigen Raum (TheSiD) e.V. as well as the AG ARCHIV of the Gesellschaft für Theaterwissenschaft and the Fachinformationsdienst Darstellende Kunst (FID DK).
The event is supported by NFDI4Culture, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) - 441958017.